5 Common Household Items That Cause Fires

Everyone is likely to forget to turn off the stove or coffee maker once in a while.

As we settle into our homes and life becomes more routine, we no longer notice some of the more mundane tasks. Activities such as watching television or cooking dinner are simple parts of life that don’t often require our attention. It can be easy to go through the motions, but it also poses considerable risk of residential fires. Everyone is likely to forget to turn off the stove or coffee maker once in a while. Let’s look at some of the household items that can cause house fires.

Extension Cords

If you have a lot of devices to power, such as lights, computer equipment, or appliances, the easiest solution is to plug in an extension cord. While extension cords are very convenient to use, it’s important not to overload them because they could be potentially hazardous. Since electricity is flowing through the strip, it can be a fire hazard if there are too many plugs. Overloaded extension cords are likely to melt wire insulation and cause a fire.

Space Heaters

Household devices like furnaces, fireplaces, wood stoves, or space heaters are excellent at keeping you warm, but they can be severe fire hazards. You should never leave a space heater in a room unattended and turn them off before going to bed. Make sure paper and other flammable materials are far away from these units.

Dryer Lint

You likely clean the lint out of your dryer regularly, but when was the last time you cleaned the vent pipe? Lint is made of dry fibers from the fabrics in the dryer, which means they are highly flammable if they get too hot. If you don’t clean out lint regularly and thoroughly enough, it could be a fire hazard. Dryers cause thousands of fires every year because lint builds up and catches fire from gas burners or heating elements. 


Candles are a great way to add warmth and pleasing scents to any room. However, they can start fires if they are left burning without supervision. If someone knocks the candle over, it throws off sparks and causes a fire in your home. Be sure to blow out candles when you leave the room and never leave them burning for several hours at a time.

Gas Stoves

You may love cooking on your gas stove, but it can be a fire hazard if you don’t clean it properly. When a pot boils over or ingredients spill on the stove, grease and other flammable materials can clog up the burners. It would be best to clean them the right way to prevent flames when cooking. 

Commercial and Residential Fire Prevention from Judd Fire Protection

If you want to ensure your home and business are safe throughout the year, trust Judd Fire Protection, LLC. We have over two decades of experience designing, installing, inspecting, and repairing residential and commercial fire protection systems. We serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and protecting your home and business, give us a call at 410-871-3480

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 17th, 2022 at 1:39 pm. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.