Fire Safety Tips for the Holidays

Fire Safety Tips for the Holidays Judd fire protection

From overloaded outlets to dry trees, it is important to learn the fire risks of holiday decorations.

The holiday season is already upon us, and people everywhere are planning parties and family gatherings. There is nothing better than communing with your loved ones around a delicious meal and beautiful decorations. While lovely, these decorations can pose a serious risk to your home. From overloaded outlets to dry trees, it is important to learn the fire risks of holiday decorations. Here are some tips to keep you safe and healthy during the holiday.

Be Careful with Holiday Lights

Colorful string lights are a staple of holiday decorations. These lights are beautiful and add flair to any home, but they can also be a severe fire hazard. Never use outdoor lights and cords indoors, and avoid running extension cords under doors or carpets. When decorating your home, keep an eye out for frayed, bent wires and broken light sockets. Also, avoid using nails to hang lights as they can attract sparks and possibly start a fire. Instead, use plastic hooks, clips, or insulated staples to hang or lights.

Never Leave Candles Unattended

Candles are great for decorations, but they are massive fire hazards. Never leave a lit candle unattended and keep them close by where it can be extinguished. If your decor requires candles, consider using flameless candles. Battery-operated LED candles flicker and still give the appearance of fire without much risk.

Christmas Tree Safety

If you are bringing home a tree for Christmas, you must choose a healthy tree. Look for a tree with needles that pull back quickly from the branches but don’t break. Tap the tree on the ground, and if it sheds a lot of needles, it’s not fresh. Never place your tree near open flames or heat sources, such as fireplaces, candles, or lights. Cut a few inches off the tree trunk to expose the fresh wood. This helps with water absorption and keeps your tree from drying out and becoming a fire hazard.

Don’t Overload Outlets

Many holiday decorations require electricity and need to be plugged in. You may be tempted to connect everything into the same outlet for convenience’s sake. But, this can be very dangerous as you can easily overload an outlet. Instead, use a power strip to plug because it gives you more individual outlets and takes the strain off your wall outlet. An overloaded outlet can quickly spark and cause a fire.

Commercial and Residential Fire Prevention from Judd Fire Protection

If you want to ensure your home and business are safe throughout the year, trust Judd Fire Protection, LLC. We have over two decades of experience designing, installing, inspecting, and repairing residential and commercial fire protection systems. We serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and protecting your home and business, give us a call at 410-871-3480 or contact us online. For more fire safety tips, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

This entry was posted on Friday, November 19th, 2021 at 10:47 am. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.