You must clean up the commercial fire extinguisher residue before returning to business. Also, the recommended cleaning techniques rely on the type of extinguisher you used. So, follow this guide to get your commercial building back to normal.
Clean Up Dry Commercial Fire Extinguisher Residue
Dry chemical fire extinguishers use firefighting agents that leave behind a corrosive powder. So, it’s critical to clean up dry chemical commercial fire extinguisher residue fast.
- Vacuum or sweep loose debris
- Combine stuck-on residue with isopropyl alcohol diluted 50 percent with warm water. Then, let the solution sit for a few minutes before using it with a damp rag.
- Also, apply a solution of 98 percent hot water and 2 percent vinegar to neutralize sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate residue. After, wipe the affected area with a damp rag.
- Mix baking soda and hot water paste to neutralize monoammonium phosphate residue.
- Lastly, wash as usual in the washing machine or the sink if dishes or clothing have dry chemical fire extinguisher residue on them.
To Clean Up Class K Fire Extinguisher Residue
Furthermore, class K fire extinguishers are recommended to clean up commercial kitchens due to their corrosive nature of dry chemicals. Also, a low-pH Class K fire extinguisher releases a fine mist to cool cooking surfaces when your grease catches on fire. Moreover, you need to clean up the commercial fire extinguisher residue before cooking again.
- Turn off power to all cooking equipment and put on protective rubber gloves to prep the area.
- Wipe away the foamy residue with a cloth or sponge dipped in hot, soapy water.
- Make sure to rinse all the surfaces in contact with wet chemicals and let everything dry before turning the power back on.
Clean Agent Extinguishers Require No Cleaning
Lastly, clean agent extinguishers are ideal for putting out fires close to computers and electronics that can be damaged by water or corrosive dry chemicals. Moreover, these particular fire extinguishers are great against Class A, B, and C fires. They also do not leave residue behind because they dissipate harmlessly into the air. Thus, no cleanup is needed.
Commercial and Residential Fire Prevention from Judd Fire Protection
If you want to ensure your home and business are safe throughout the year, trust Judd Fire Protection, LLC. We have over two decades of experience designing, installing, inspecting, and repairing residential and commercial fire protection systems. We serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and protecting your home and business, give us a call at 410-871-3480