We are the most critical contributors to fire safety. The decisions that we make directly influence how well we keep fire safety threats at bay — the choices we make matter, especially in the kitchen. Maintaining safe habits helps ensure that our kitchens stay free of fire hazards. Keep in mind this list of the top flammable foods and how you can prevent a cooking fire.
Top Flammable Foods
- Believe it or not, one of the most flammable foods is garlic. Garlic is packed with natural oil which means that it burns very quickly. You’ve probably noticed the way it pops when you place it in a hot pan. If the grease splatters into the burner, it creates a safety hazard.
- Similarly, the high-fat content of bacon causes it to pop and splash in the pan.
- Alcohol-based sauces are also highly flammable because of the speed and height of the flames.
- Flour and other powdered goods tend to burn, if not added to liquids. Powdered food products can also ignite if they come into direct contact with the flame.
- Deep frying in the kitchen is dangerous because there’s a high risk that the hot oil can splash onto the flame, becoming a significant safety hazard.
Preventing a Cooking Fire
- One of the most important measures you should take to help prevent a cooking fire is to keep your appliances and cooking spaces clean. A buildup of grease, crumbs, and other residues can create the perfect environment for a kitchen fire.
- Unplugging your appliances when you aren’t using them will ensure that nothing can overheat or short out.
- Remember fundamental rules like keeping metal out of the microwave and keeping dish towels and pot holders away from your burners. Also, never leave lit burners unattended in the kitchen.
- Never underestimate the power and importance of your smoke detector. Maintain fresh batteries and check your detector twice a year when daylight savings time begins and ends.
Commercial and Residential Fire Prevention from Judd Fire Protection
If you want to ensure your home and business are safe throughout the year, trust Judd Fire Protection, LLC. We have over two decades of experience in designing, installing, inspecting, and repairing residential and commercial fire protection systems. We serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and protecting your home and business, give us a call at 410-871-3480 or contact us online. For more fire safety tips, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.terest.