How often do you play with matches? Surely the answer is never. However, matches can be useful around the house, especially when the power goes out and you need to light a candle. But while you try to play it safe when it comes to any fire in your home, there are some residential fire hazards you don’t think about, and that’s because you don’t think they could be fire hazards at all.
Piles of Dust
A dusty house can be uncomfortable to live in, especially if you are allergic to it. But too much dust can also become a fire hazard. That’s one of the biggest reasons why it’s so important to keep your home as clean as possible. After all, vacuuming and sweeping can help you get rid of excess dust. Take a closer look at the plugs for heaters, loose sockets, power strips, and small appliances in the kitchen. If there’s too much dust, then take the time to deal with it. You don’t want the dust starting a fire.
We know what you’re thinking: how can glass start a fire? Doesn’t glass melt under intense heat? That’s a misconception because glass conducts heat and can transfer enough heat to set something on fire. Even though the sun is relatively weaker in the winter, that’s only an illusion created by the earth being tilted away from it. Spring and summer aren’t far away, so be careful that your glass of lemonade doesn’t start a fire.
Now then, it is entirely possible for batteries to start a fire. Even if they don’t explode, batteries can leak acid which can ignite or combust when held near open flame or are exposed to heat for long enough. Get some electrical tape and cover up the ports on the batteries if you can’t put them back into their original packaging. You never know when the batteries might brush up against coins and strike a spark.
Loose wires are hazardous, too. Not only can people trip over them or be exposed to electrocution if they don’t see them, but wires can also cause electrical fires as well.
Light bulbs can light up a room, but you shouldn’t leave them exposed either. Light bulbs will also generate heat, and if left on too long they can catch fire, especially in a small, closed-in space such as a closet.
Commercial and Residential Fire Prevention from Judd Fire Protection
If you want to ensure your home and business are safe throughout the year, trust Judd Fire Protection, LLC. We have over two decades of experience in designing, installing, inspecting, and repairing residential and commercial fire protection systems. We serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and protecting your home and business, give us a call at 410-871-3480 or contact us online. For more fire safety tips, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.