Grease Fires and What You Should Know About Them

Grease Fires and What You Should Know About Them

Preventing grease fires is completely achievable

Grease fires can have devastating effects, and cooking causes so many residential fires. It is the leading cause. We cannot stress or say enough that you should use safe practices while cooking. Being prepared for a grease fire is crucial because it can spread in a matter of seconds. Proper techniques, along with quick thinking, makes all the difference. Here is what you should know about grease fires. 

What You Should Know About Grease Fires

If this type of fire breaks out in your home unexpectedly, you should protect your skin if you have time. If you aren’t wearing them already, grab nearby oven mitts. Second, you should turn the heat off. Without a heat source, fires don’t spread as rapidly. Third, you should cover the pot using a metal lid (glass will crack!) or a cookie sheet. Without oxygen, fires cease to exist. Next, you can use baking soda or salt to extinguish and smother a small grease fire. However, please note that you will need an ample amount. Finally, wait it out and observe the pot. Please do not attempt to touch the pot unless you know that it has cooled. Never treat a grease fire like a regular fire outbreak. Water does not put out a grease fire.

If These Methods Don’t Work, What Next?

Most homeowners don’t have access to a fire extinguisher. However, if you’re in a commercial kitchen, use a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher. If all else fails and you cannot contain the flames, get out immediately and dial 9-1-1. Your safety is more vital than the security of your home. 

Things That You Should Avoid at All Costs During Grease Fires

  • Never move the pot
  • Never pour flour or sugar onto a grease fire
  • Never smother the flame with flammable items such as aprons, dish towels, and other flammable objects.

Prevention Tips

When you are in the kitchen, never leave your food unattended, especially if you are cooking with oil or grease. We also suggest that you use a heavy pot with a lid. If you want to ensure that the flame isn’t getting too hot, clip thermometers are useful. Another suggestion is to keep pot and pan handles turned inwardly. It is not uncommon to accidentally bump into them. If you ever notice smoke (not steam), turn the stove off immediately. Finally, we suggest that you always keep your stovetop clean. Sticky stoves are a fire hazard. Cooking is such an enjoyable pleasure in life that should never turn into a fire hazard. Following these tips will ensure that. 

Commercial and Residential Fire Prevention from Judd Fire Protection

If you want to ensure your home and business are safe throughout the year, trust Judd Fire Protection, LLC. We have over two decades of experience in designing, installing, inspecting, and repairing residential and commercial fire protection systems. We serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and protecting your home and business, give us a call at 410-871-3480 or contact us online. For more fire safety tips, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

This entry was posted on Friday, June 12th, 2020 at 12:10 pm. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.