While candles, electrical equipment, and open fires are more prevalent sources of house fires, some household items might surprise you. Many easily combustible household objects are evident – hair, paper, and loose clothing. Check out these flammable products in your home that you didn’t know you had!
Nail Polish and Nail Polish Remover
Acetone is a primary ingredient in numerous nail polishes and nail polish removers that is extremely flammable. Although nail polish formulas differ from brand to brand, most will contain either acetone or nitrocellulose. Also, be cautious of open flames nearby while applying nail polish. If you’re utilizing nail polish remover, make sure to wash your hands thoroughly afterward and squeeze any excess liquid from your cotton ball before disposing of it to minimize any risk.
Orange Peel and Oil
Orange peel is another one of the most flammable products in your home that contains tiny pockets which store oil. In addition, more than 90% of this oil has a chemical known as limonene, a highly combustible liquid. Orange oil, made from oranges skin, is sometimes used as a household cleaning agent. It’s beneficial for degreasing surfaces, polishing, and shining furniture. To minimize fire risk, avoid using spritz orange oil-based cleaning items near fire sources.
Lithium-ion batteries are also flammable products in your home that you didn’t know you had. Since these batteries store a lot of power, you should always treat them cautiously. Additionally, ensure the device you’re charging is on a hard surface before plugging it in to recharge. Avoid setting it on a soft surface such as a bed or couch because it can lead to heat build-up.
Remember, dropping a lithium-ion battery or any impact potent enough to damage the battery’s exterior can trigger the chemicals inside to produce excessive heat. As a result, it can potentially ignite. Also, dropping one battery repeatedly can cause this reaction.
Sugar and Cooking Powders
Moreover, sugar can ignite in contact with a flame or spark when suspended in the air. In fact, any fine particles that can hang in the air and develop a cloud can be combustible. Plus, sugar can ignite at high temperatures based on humidity levels and the speed at which it’s heated up. To prevent this, keep your sugar and other powered foods in sealed containers away from open flames or heat sources such as stoves or ovens.
Commercial and Residential Fire Prevention from Judd Fire Protection
If you want to ensure your home and business are safe throughout the year, trust Judd Fire Protection, LLC. We have over two decades of experience designing, installing, inspecting, and repairing residential and commercial fire protection systems. We serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and protecting your home and business, give us a call at 410-871-3480