House fires don’t just happen in movies and television; they also happen all over the United States every year. Although you can’t eliminate house fires, you can eliminate risk factors with proper prevention. Protect your home with these fire safety tips!
Prepare by Having an Escape Plan
Don’t risk your home not knowing what to do in case of a fire. Even though panicking in these situations is typical, your family must be ready with a fire safety plan. Remember to get out first and call 911 with any fire.
- Select a place to meet outside. Make sure you and your family are out of harm’s way if the fire spreads.
- Ensure your plan includes two methods out of any room.
- Fire smoke is toxic, so teach everyone in your household to get low and crawl under the smoke layer.
- Practice feeling doors, knobs, and cracks under doors for temperature differences to prevent a deadly backdraft or the source of the flames.
- Know the location of all fire escapes (for apartments)
- Learn where all fire alarm pulls are and how to activate them (for apartments)
If you get stuck inside during a fire, cover the vents and door cracks with towels, blankets, or shirts to keep the smoke from entering the room. You can also go near a window and signal for help with a flashlight. Please do not open the window, as oxygen feeds fires.
Fire Alarms Can Reduce the Risk of Fires
Fire alarms are crucial in preventing fires and in saving lives. In addition, a working fire alarm can minimize the risk presented by fires by 50%. Protect your home with these fire safety tips:
- Install smoke alarms on every floor of your home
- Also, install fire alarms outside every room and in every bedroom
- Use daylight savings time as a reminder to inspect all batteries in fire alarms
- The best fire alarms will consist of a ten-year battery
Even though the tips above won’t 100% remove the possibility of a fire beginning in your home, they will help minimize your fire risk. They will also help you safely evacuate in case of a fire. So, be safe, get your fire safety plan together, and prepare your home.
Commercial and Residential Fire Prevention from Judd Fire Protection
If you want to ensure your home and business are safe throughout the year, trust Judd Fire Protection, LLC. We have over two decades of experience designing, installing, inspecting, and repairing residential and commercial fire protection systems. We serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and protecting your home and business, give us a call at 410-871-3480