You probably already know that the best way to put out a fire is with a fire extinguisher. For this reason, we recommend that everyone procure one as soon as they move into a new residence, and ensure that it’s in working condition. But what if a fire starts when you’re still moving in—before you’ve bought one? Or if the fire extinguisher you have is too old to be effective? The proper course of action varies with the type of fire. In case you have to put out a fire without a fire extinguisher, follow these tips.
Fires in Your Microwave or Oven
Most residential fires start in your kitchen. If you notice your food has gone into flames in your microwave or your oven, remember that the inside of those appliances is designed to be able to withstand high heat. Unless you happen to have a large amount of baking soda on hand, your best bet is just to turn off the heat, shut the door, and call the fire department.
Remember: don’t open the door. Doing so will cause the flames to grow stronger. With the doors shut, it may extinguish itself on its own.
Most people know that grease fires need to be approached differently from other kinds of fires. Follow the cardinal rule: don’t use water to put it out. The water and hot oil will cause explosions of flaming oil to fly about your kitchen. When it comes to grease fires, baking soda is the easiest way to put it out without a fire extinguisher. If you’re able to, cover it with a metal lid and call the fire department.
You’ve probably heard that you should never use water to put out a residential fire. This is primarily due to the prevalence of grease fires and electrical fires. Just like with grease fires, using water to put out an electrical fire is a bad idea. As we’re sure you know, water conducts electricity. Not only does this put you at risk of getting shocked, but it can also spread the fire. Just don’t do it.
There is one exception to this rule, though. If something like your television or computer caught on fire and you are without a fire extinguisher, you can use water to put it out only if you’ve unplugged it first. Make sure that you are far away from active electronics or power outlets before you do so.
Judd Fire Protection
If you want to ensure your home and business are safe throughout the year, trust Judd Fire Protection, LLC. We have over two decades of experience designing, installing, inspecting, and repairing residential and commercial fire protection systems. We serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and protecting your home and business, give us a call at 410-871-3480 or contact us online. For more fire safety tips, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.