Electrical Fire Safety Tips

electrical fire safety

Overloading an extension cord goes against electrical fire safety

It’s always crucial to follow electrical fire safety tips, but doing so means something significant during this pandemic. Millions and millions of people are working from their homes and using electronics to keep themselves entertained as the world waits for life to return to normal. Read on to discover electrical fire safety tips that can apply to both residential and commercial spaces. 

Top Signs That Faulty Wiring Exists

If you’re home, now is the time to inspect your wiring and become aware of the warning signs. If you experience any of these following issues, then you should call an electrician to help make your home safer:

  • Flickering lights
  • Outlets and switches that emit an acrid odor or are hot to the touch
  • Multiple blown fuses and tripped circuit breakers

Tips on Cords, Plugs, and Outlets

It’s crucial to know how to use and store plugs and electrical cords. Otherwise, the result could be an electrical fire. Plugs and appliances generate heat. Have you ever thought about why your phone or laptop feels overheated sometimes? That’s because electric currents run through switches, wiring, appliances, and plugs. Too much heat can cause start a fire. Here are a few ways that you can prevent electrical fires:

  • Refrain from running cords under bedding, carpeting, or other combustible materials 
  • Never place cords across doorways or areas with heavy foot-traffic
  • Throw away frayed or broken cords
  • Never overload extension cords
  • Make sure that all cords fit into plugs properly to prevent both shock and access heat
  • Unplug your electronics from time to time

A Quick Note on Older Homes and Buildings 

If your home or building is 40-50 years old, then you indeed should consider having an electrician inspect the aluminum wiring. Sockets, switches, and cable extensions installed between 1965-1973 were very problematic. Aluminum wiring oxidizes and degrades quicker than its copper counterpart. 

The Main Takeaway 

Tens of thousands of avoidable electrical fires happen within homes each year. Commercial buildings are not immune. Overloading outlets and letting appliances overheat is a fire hazard that puts a lot of people at risk. We suggest that you inspect your wiring, outlets, lighting, and appliances to keep yourself safe and others. On the positive side, if a fire were to break out, then at least you have fire protection systems installed in your home and your business. If not, then call us today. 

Commercial and Residential Fire Prevention from Judd Fire Protection

If you want to ensure your home and business are safe throughout the year, trust Judd Fire Protection, LLC. We have over two decades of experience in designing, installing, inspecting, and repairing residential and commercial fire protection systems. We serve clients throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and protecting your home and business, give us a call at 410-871-3480 or contact us online. For more fire safety tips, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

This entry was posted on Friday, April 17th, 2020 at 4:14 pm. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.