Thanks to the dry heat of summer and fun summer activities like campfires, people are at a slightly increased risk of fire-related injuries and deaths throughout the season. While fires are incredibly dangerous and should be taken seriously at all times, there are many simple ways that you can protect your home and family from suffering from the aftermath of a summer fire. Here are our best tips for preventing summer fires.
Our Best Campfire Safety Tips
These fire tips should be explained to everyone gathering around the fire, whether they are six or sixty.
- Always follow the rules for the site you are camping at when it comes to lighting fires, extinguishing fires, and monitoring fires.
- If a piece of clothing catches on fire, practice stop, drop, and roll.
- Examine your surroundings when you are planning on starting a campfire. Choose an area where it will not spread. Stay away from dry leaves, grassy areas, or tree branches that are hanging overhead.
- Don’t store any lighter fluid or flammable liquids near your campfire, as stray flames can ignite them.
- Keep campfires away from any place you are sleeping including your home and your tent. Campfires should always be lit downwind from the tent. When choosing a tent, if you frequently make campfires, always choose one with flame-retardant materials.
- Never build large campfires or bonfires, even if they seem cooler when posted on social media.
- Always have one person stay with the campfire at all times while it was lit. Going to bed? Put it out!
- Keep plenty of water and a shovel near your campfire at all times to use in an emergency. Never light a campfire if you don’t already have a method of extinguishing it laid out and ready to go.
Our Best Fireworks Safety Tips
Fireworks are a ton of fun, but also a major safety hazard during the summer months.
- Only use legal fireworks.
- Always read the instructions on each firework before using.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
- Don’t light fireworks on or near dry grass.
- Never wear loose-fitting clothes when handling fireworks.
Commercial and Residential Fire Prevention from Judd Fire Protection
If you want to ensure your home and business are safe throughout the year, trust Judd Fire Protection, LLC. We have over two decades of experience with design, installation, service, and inspection of residential and commercial fire protection systems. We service clients throughout the Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. If you are interested in finding out more about our services and protecting your home and business, give us a call at 410-871-3480 or contact us online. For more fire safety tips, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.